Join us May 11, at 8 pm in Cedar Canyon to run a 5k Fun Run patterned after the Space Race!
Sign up HERE to run the 5k fun run Space Race: https://runsignup.com/Race/UT/CedarCity/SpaceRace5kFunRun
Run an evening 5k in beautiful Cedar Canyon. At the end of the race, we will have a star party! Water, prizes, campfire & marshmallows, and telescopes provided.
This race is an astronomy-themed race patterned after The Space Race. Citizens and comrades alike are welcome!
Meet us up the canyon, Hwy-14 at the 2nd bridge, at the Southwest Wildlife Foundation parking area (across from Rusty’s, 2275 UT-14, Cedar City, UT).
Teams/groups are encouraged, and a $10 discount per registrant is given to participants that sign up in groups of 4 or more (limit 20). Since this is the Space Race, consider naming your group after a famous Space Race program/probe. There are so many options. For example:
- Sputnik: You are fast and first to outer space! (Soyuz)
- Explorer 1: You are the first to detect the Van Allen radiation belts! (USA)
- Luna 3: You are the first to see the far side of the Moon! (Soyuz)
- Explorer 6: You are the first to see Earth from Space and take a selfie! (USA)
- Vostok 1: You have the first human spaceflight! (Soyuz)
- Mariner 4: You are the first to fly past Mars! (USA)
- Venera 1: You are the first to fly past Venus! (Soyuz)
- Apollo 11: You are the first to walk on the Moon! (USA! USA! USA!)
There are so many possibilities from the actual Space Race!
- Race fee is $20 (or $10 per participant when 4-20 people sign up)
- T-shirts are $15
- Star Party is FREE (you are welcome to come 1 hour after the race for the Star Party, which starts at 9 pm)
For our 2019 Events Listing, see: https://susf.org/2019/01/07/2019-list-of-events/
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING
Yourself! And your family. Your friends. Maaaaaaaybe your enemies…
Water will be provided along the trail, snacks will be provided afterward.
You should not need a headlamp for this run. Although it is at 8 pm, the Sun won’t be down until almost 9 pm and we’ll have a little light left over even after that. It will be more of an ‘evening run’ rather than a ‘night run’. If you do bring a headlamp, please be aware of the other runners’ vision (please don’t blind people).